Thursday, October 6, 2011

Rest In Peace, Steve Jobs (Inspired Post 2)

Last night, I pulled up Firefox on my Macbook computer, opened up Facebook and saw through repeated status updates that Steve Jobs passed away. Immediately, I switched to Google News to check the legitimacy of the sources and when I saw Washington Post, I knew it was true.



I spent the next half hour or so reading over inspirational quotes said by Steve Jobs, a man who was truly able to express his feelings and ideals through words.

"Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart. Stay hungry. Stay foolish." - Steve Jobs

His passing made me, and most of the world, stop and reflect on the impact he has had on technology. His innovation and creativity have changed the world as we know it. Two of the celebrities I follow on Facebook made a point to update their status in memoriam. Lance Armstrong explained that he was devastaed and posted this quote on his page, said be Steve Jobs himself-- "A computer is the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with. It's a bicycle for our minds". The Fray, a popular music group, made their status, "It's crazy how something as simple as Video Chat or FaceTime can make you feel at home when you're not. Thank you Steve Jobs for making this crazy job of ours a little easier for us and our families, among many other things. Rest in Peace."

In a class about globalization, I think it is extremely important to stop and remember a man like Steve Jobs. His inventions are truly global-- you can see Apple products around the world. When I was in Europe and even in Morocco, I saw iPods, iTunes, iPhones, and Mac computers. And not has Steve Jobs, and Apple as a whole, created incredible products, but they have also encouraged the creativity and competition of new products, as can be seen with the new Windows Media Phones, tablets like the iPad, and an array of MP3 players that are trying to compete with the iPod.

Rest In Peace, Steve Jobs. You are a technological legend that has changed the world for the better. (Or so Friedman would say!)

No comments:

Post a Comment